Friday, June 5, 2009

Down Memory Lane - 25 years later

On 4 & 5 June, I took my son and several relatives to my birth place at Ng Luau, which is a tributary of the Dijih River.My son has never been there and I have not been there either for a long, long time. We abandoned the long house in 1985 when my two brothers decided to pindah to our present place, by the Jln Sg Dijih. They led the exodus of other relatives, some joined us at Jln Sg Dijih, some moved to ulu Dijih and settlements by the Mukah river, leaving only one family in Luau - tho this family no longer lives at the long house but at their kebun.

My brothers and a cousin still maintain their biliks as they go to Luau every year to fell the sago trees for sale. They usually stay for a month or so. During the last season, they were there for almost three months, from December 2008 to February 2009.

Of my three children, only my eldest daughter have been there - she was only 11 months old when we went back for Gawai.

Fish is still plentiful in Luau and during the last sago season, my brothers made containers of kasam ikan and salai. For this trip, we managed to get a good catch on the 1st day but it rained during the night and the river swelled - it was not conducive any more to fish, so we came home earlier than planned.

So here folks are the pictures I took...
Ba penyangkai kebun mulong: my son and uchu Kubu
Mulai ka pengingat megai injin sepit nengah ai Dijih?
View ari ili pendaie
My son and Uchu Bek mandi ba sg Dijih. Below - i didnt realise how slim? the blogger is till I see this picture. Well, blessed be to him.

2 comments:

Fabulously Sassy said...

nda asi tu, D! nama dik ngai mai akuuuuu subaaa? huhu..

BukBuban said...

ila aku mai nuan ok maya orang ngundur ka mulong. love dd